Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Mom's Homemade Turkey Burger Meatballs

Meatballs can be a quick meal option. Other than them just being a cool kid food. 

I make meatballs, because, frankly, I know my kids will eat them. It's easy enough, homemade so I am controlling what goes in, and...oh yeah that's right, tastes freaking awesome.

Thanks Mom!

Before I give you my meatballs recipe, I have to admit...it's not really my own. I may have borrowed it from my mom. You see, my mom always has, and still does, makes the best turkey and/or chicken burgers. Hands down, the best...for real (moms are the best home cooks, so it's ok for me to say that). Soooo, who am I to play with perfection?

Therefore, I simply took her recipe, remixed it just a tad, into meatball form, and stuffed it with cheese...oh yes. Meatballs with cheese, that tastes like moms burgers, and my kids eat! 

Eat Sprout

Now, as you may have known by now, I recently started getting my meat products farm fresh from Sprout Farm Fresh. The reason being:
  • They have organic meat products available
  • The meat is butcher-quality and coming from the farm straight to your door - yes delivered!!
  • Fresh the day of delivery, so higher nutritional profile than those that have been in the freezer
  • Their selection and prices are awesome, and an easy to shop process

I really encourage you all to try this option. Shop or browse by clicking here.

Turkey for the Win!

Ok my meatballs...I chose to make them out of turkey. Turkey is a lean meat, meaning it has less fat than other meats, so generally better for you in that sense. 

Oh I should mention, when I got the meat, 2kg of it, it was delivered neatly packed into 0.5kg bags.  Sealed and ready for storage, or the freezer if needed. Such nicely packed, portioned amounts is ideal for me! It's so easy to store, and defrost, and just saves me having to do it (which, if you have ever packed/portioned ground meat yourself, is far from enjoyable). 

Ok yes, cheese-stuffed turkey meatballs...here we go.

Turning Mommy - Turkey Burger Meatballs

Ingredients

    Turning Mommy - Turkey Burger Meatballs
  • 0.5 kg ground turkey meat
  • 1 handful chopped cilantro
  • 1 large egg
  • 4 minced garlic gloves
  • 1/2 finely chopped onion
  • 2-3 tsp minced fresh ginger (or grated)
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • 2 tsp paprika
  • 2-3 tsp garlic powder
  • a dash of oregano
  • salt and pepper as desired
  • 3-4 oz. cubed cheddar cheese 
  • breadcrumbs (optional)
  • olive oil, baking spray or parchment paper to line baking tray

Turning Mommy - Turkey Burger Meatballs

What To Do

  1. Preheat the oven at 325°
  2. Combine all the ingredients, except for the cheddar cheese and breadcrumbs (it's best to just mix with your hands, I think). 
    Turning Mommy - Turkey Burger Meatballs
  3. Once all combined, test rolling out some in your hand, if you find that the meat is too sticky, add breadcrumbs. Add enough, slowly, to not be very visible, but making the mixture more workable. 
  4. Taking an amount no larger than 1 tablespoon, work into a half dome. 
  5. Add a piece of the cheddar cheese in the middle of the dome.
    Turning Mommy - Turkey Burger Meatballs
  6. Now roll into a ball, about 1/2 inch size small meatballs, and cover the cheese completely.
    Turning Mommy - Turkey Burger Meatballs
  7. Place on the baking sheet and back for about 20min. (You will need to check if meatballs are browning, as cooking time will vary depending on the size of the meatballs).
  8. Let cool, serve with salad, pasta, in sauce, or have as a snack (I sometimes serve this simply with some greek style potatoes and veggies). 
Turning Mommy - Turkey Burger Meatballs



*I was provided with product to write this post, however, all opinions and thoughts are my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading turningmommy, I look forward to hearing from you.